Final Reflection

During the semester there were many group assignments, some of them were quite difficult to complete while some were not so much. In this class, we were challenged to create pieces of literature as a group finding a way to bridge our linguistic differences. One way this was addressed was by reviewing our work and having peers review our work. This also helped me strive for my goals to improve my writing. Another way we used to bridge our linguistic differences is by being very social with our writing. We also worked together to figure out what to search for us to gain primary articles for our literature review. For this, we searched through many internet databases and check the credibility of those sources. In order to have a successful semester.

While bridging our linguistic differences was important to us as a group, we strived to center our topic of stress to how different types of stress in college students effects academic performance to help us find articles but to also have the same stance between all of us and stay consistent throughout our work. As well as staying consistent we also thought communication was very important in our group that is why we were in constant communication having each other’s phone numbers to text or call if necessary, in addition, we would have group meetings whenever class would be canceled. Furthermore, we shared a google document where we could view each other’s writing. While having peer review really showed my group and me many areas where we could improve and add to make a more complete piece of literature. Peer review also helped me recognize some issues with my personal writing and editing skills.

While completing assignments I was also working towards completing goals of mine which was to overall improve my writing by completing a group essay I received even more experience to improve my writing. Also, by seeing the way my peers write I was improving. This is because I saw many ways of presenting ideas and topics using different rhetorical devices. Also, an important trait I learned was to write toward your targeted audience. To write toward a targeted audience I had to analyze what I what these primary articles were telling me from the studies they completed.  As well as the way to locate these primary articles using databases like the CCNY library and google scholar. An example would be I searched for how academic stress effects students’ academic performance I limited the searches to 2 years and only articles. Then I began to search for articles. After completing the search for articles, I began to read them analyzing, paraphrasing and quoting the articles throughout my work. Then finally there was the step to give credit to the author by making citations specifically in APA citation.

While we had many assignments in the class, I would say the most interesting would be making the website with the infographic and the video. This is because it gave my group and me a way of expressing our own creativity by creating our websites. This class has challenged me in many ways while improving my writing every step of the way. Even though the first thought of a group writing assignment does not seem to fun it was more fun than writing an essay solo. It was a great experience. While the long semester has just come to an end, I will hold what I learned and experienced to use again soon.